Friday, January 8, 2010

A quickie on the Housewives


OKAY. Last night we saw Tamra at lunch with her mother confessing that she and Simon are headed toward divorce and she doesn't know what to do. Truthfully, I kinda felt for her because she's still got three little kids at home ... and who wants to be a 42 year old divorcee with three younguns. OUCH. Simon, at least by what we see on t.v., is controlling and possessive but that is what these ladies signed up for. Someone to "take care of them" so they could stay at home, have babies and be swathed in diamonds, designer clothes and nice homes. Having had the unique ability to have been a single independent woman most of my adult life, and then being unemployed for the last two years has given me a unique perspective on this subject. When I was working full time I, too, had fantasies of marrying UP so I wouldn't have to trudge to work every day, take b.s. from superiors and be a responsible person. As you all know, the last two years I have been unemployed, kinda like Tamra ... except without the diamonds and designer clothes and let me say right here and now, it is no fun being a stay at home anything! It's hard, boring work and a thankless job! I cannot imagine doing this wife stuff with a couple of rug rats running around. I'D SHOOT MYSELF IN THE BRAIN. Despite Dr. Laura's psychotic ideology that women should stay home, raising babies, and catering to their men ... IT IS NOT 1950 JEEZ! We live in a different world. Simon should let Tamra work if she wants to and HE should help HER with the kids. PERIOD. After all, he gave up his job selling luxury cars to go into the tequila business. He's home. LET HIM take care of the kids. IT'S CALLED TEAMWORK people. There are pros and cons to everything ... especially for women. When Tamra married Simon he was doing really well financially and she was HAPPY. Everybody's happy where there's money. As soon as biz started slowing down and the money stopped flowing, Simon decides to quit his job selling luxury cars to start a tequila business ... and she supported this cockamamie idea and this is where all the problems began ... with $$$. When you base your happiness on $$$ or the lack thereof, you get kinda what you deserve.

But let's face it folks ... in the world of reality t.v., I don't think there is that much to worry about. After all, Tamra is a reality t.v. star. She'll probably get another reality show about being a divorced 42 year old woman with three little kids, making $100,000 an episode, wherein we will watch her maneuver through life as a single woman, dating loser after loser until she finally marries husband no. 3, Slade Smiley ... and we'll all watch the fabulous wedding on t.v. and the ensuing birth of their triplets by invitro fertilization .... and I'll still be pontificating my views on my stupid little blog and collecting unemployment.


THAT'S REALITY PEOPLE.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Debbie, how well you write.....what a shame that people like you and Marie my cousin who WRITE SO WELL can't find a bloody job writing!!!! I wish you the best this year and I hope this will be the year for you to find a great job. Thanks for coming to my blog, Debbie! How nice of you....come anytime, you are so welcome! I love blogging but it is so hard to keep up with everyone's blogs! You have really created a great space. Keep going, your writing is awesome! Take care old friend! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Debbie, how well you write.....what a shame that people like you and Marie my cousin who WRITE SO WELL can't find a bloody job writing!!!! I wish you the best this year and I hope this will be the year for you to find a great job. Thanks for coming to my blog, Debbie! How nice of you....come anytime, you are so welcome! I love blogging but it is so hard to keep up with everyone's blogs! You have really created a great space. Keep going, your writing is awesome! Take care old friend! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debbie
    Some of the things you describe remind me that America as a culture is really, really, really messed up sometimes, and that it is selling to each succeeding generation of youth ALL THE WRONG VALUES.

    I mean these programs literally brag to girls that the way to get what you want is to use your body. What happened to the feminist movement? Didn't it start out as a movement for equal rights and opportunities as men, and the desire for dignity and to be valued not just for their body or outward looks, but for their mind and character? Now it seems to have morphed into a pretty weird kind of women's liberation: i.e., the modern woman is above all sexually liberated. That at least is the way almost everything in the media seems to preach it.

    Mary Wollstonecraft would roll over in her grave to see the "liberated" woman of the reality show variety.

    The men in these shows aren't off the hook. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING that guys are and do is related to sex somewhere, some how, some way, some time.

    Hey, sex, cool. No problem. But don't any of these fictional or reality show characters have ANYTHING ELSE to offer? Often, no.

    So many of them are dumb beyond belief. I'm talking single cell paramecium dumb. Embarrassed to call myself human kind of dumb.

    Sorry. This is your venting blog, not mine. But you got me going here.

    Take care,

    Ruben

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie,
    What you said originally in blog was perfectly clear and did not need any clarification from me. Your posts are always interesting and just got me going. I was basically agreeing with and adding to what you said. I love the new look of your blog.

    Ruben

    ReplyDelete

GO ON, TELL ME WHAT YOU REALLY THINK ...

IT'S OSCAR NIGHT!!!

  Hollywood's big night has arrived!  I've seen a few of the nominated movies.  Barbie - don't know why it was nominated; Americ...